My life at the library

One of the jobs I have is working as a security officer at the Eugene Public Library, in Eugene, Oregon. Following is a collection of my thoughts about this job that came to me on Thursday, the 25th... 

I have learned to never say that it is quiet around the library. As soon I utter that phrase, I will receive a call that trouble is afoot. For instance, on Sunday, it started out as a quiet afternoon shift. At about 2:00 PM, an episode of downtown, teenage drama decided to spill into the library. It ended with a young man being told by the police to go catch his bus, and my having to write a novel of an incident report. 

It stinks being a contractor working for the city. In return for making sure the library is safe for patrons and staff, we get paid well below what an actual city employee would make for doing the same task. On the upside however, our jobs are not subject to the mood swings of the city's budget. Also, even though I work at the library, I am unable to check out any of the books in the library, as I am not a city resident, and do not wish to pay the $80 a year to have a library card. I just have to hope that the library here in Creswell has the book, or I can get the book via Interlibrary Loan.

The people I work with are great. I have a wonderful working relationship with my fellow security officers, Greg and Rich. If one of us spots something unusual or receives a complaint about something, we apprise the other security officer immediately of the situation. The same can be said for the custodians, Billy, Lisa, and Miguel. The staff at the reference desks are also very warm and inviting. I have found myself chatting with them about the most random of things. Heck, even the baristas in the cafe are great to work with, as they often see things we don't. 


Well, that's all I can think of for now. I am sure I will think of more later...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting My Stuff Stolen and Recovered

The Opening Theme from M*A*S*H*